Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chocolate Poli | Step By Step Recipe to make Poli filled with Chocolate

During my college days I used to buy loads of cocoa powder in tins and sachets. While I knew tins would last me longer, the refill packs used to be very attractive because they used to carry a recipe using cocoa powder. I ended up collecting many such plastic paper cut outs. Finally I safe guarded all those small cut outs with a gem clip. It's been with me for more than 15 years.

Finally I got down making from that collection. I remember many occasions I have taken those papers out to read out load to Amma and wonder how each of it would actually taste. As Poli is something very dear and common at home, I decided I would try this Chocolate Poli that was listed. The ingredients are easily available at home, so you can get this done within minutes.


Step by Step Pictures of making Chocolate Poli

Measure out Maida/ All purpose flour to make the dough.


Add ghee and salt to the flour, rub well. then slowly add water to knead to a stiff dough. Cover with a wet muslin cloth and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.


Meanwhile heat a non stick pan, take coconut, cocoa powder and sugar.

 

Add little water. Stir well, continue cooking until you get a thick stuffing.


Allow it to cool
Pinch out small balls from the dough, flatten a ball, take a small scoop of the filling.

Enclose the filling with the dough and
Close it like this. Dust with flour
and roll out as you normally do with chapatis or rotis.

Heat a tawa and cook these polis on both sides with oil or ghee.



Ingredients Needed:
Makes : 3 polis

For the dough
Flour - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

For the Stuffing

Cocoa powder - 2 - 3 tsp
Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup (as per taste)
Water - little


Method to prepare

Take the flour, ghee and salt, rub it well. Then slowly add the water to knead to a stiff dough. Cover with a wet muslin cloth and rest it for 10 minutes.

In a non stick pan, take the cocoa powder, coconut, sugar, add water and cook on high. Once the sugar starts melting, simmer and cook till it thickens. Remove and allow to cool.

Heat a tawa, pinch out small balls, flatten the dough, place the filling in the middle and close it.

Dust with flour and roll out as chapatis. Cook on hot tawa until done on both sides.

Serve hot.



Another entry for my Kid's Delight themed on Chocolate Feast

Check out my Blogging Marathon Buddies Priya Suresh, Jay, Monika, PJ and Reva

No comments:

Post a Comment