Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Dahi Papdi Chat Recipe | Step by Step Recipe

Dahi Papdi Chaat is one of those tempting chats I always order in a chat shop. The first time I was introduced to these delicious chats was when I in college and yes I even used to get back to make these at home. Though apart from Bhel Puri, which we make very frequently at home, I have made Pani Puri for the Indian Cooking Challenge. Otherwise my attempt at these typical chats were not much.

After announcing Street Food as the theme for this month's Kid's Delight I decided I should take up all those recipes I have collected over years to make finally. 

Anybody would think that when I announce a blogging marathon I might have all the posts ready to do the marathon without a hassle. But as I have seen myself doing it, I never had one post ready so it becomes all the more exciting and hard pressed to see how to manage! But expecting to make the sev myself was little too much. So had to be content with store bought Sevs but just couldn't make it the first day.

Finally when I came back home last evening, I decided I was going to make it. With Konda studying, Peddu and Chinnu all ready next to me, they were hoping I will make something with Chocolates, I set out to make. It was one happy filled, noisy kitchen, with the microwave on for cooking
the potatoes and the boys trying to see how it turns around, with Athamma yelling at them trying to scare them off. Well more than making it was simply exhausted!


Just when I was ready with the final preparation my hubby dear walked in home. Looking at my plate, he said he was really tired of the same plate and was so sure that my readers would be too. But I said even after getting so many other plates for photography I don't seem to like anything other than this! 

Anyway when I served him the Dahi papdi chat, he called up Konda right away and said she might love this dish, which she did. But I could sense some change in his reaction. I asked him how it tastes, he said it tastes very good. After few minutes he was murmuring that one of these days he must take me to those chat shops to eat Dahi papdi chat. Well I pounced on him, though not literally, and demanded what he was inferring. He said nothing, he was justsaying. I was still fuming when I walked out, only to see the Chat masala packet till unopened. 

With a sheepish grin I confessed I missed out adding Chat Masala. He immediately said yeah that's what I said something is missing! Thank god for small mercies, I said in this mad rush it was good that I didn't forget to add papdis!

Well after all the drama, the Dahi Papdi Chat was very good. My boys are yet to be introduced to the realms of Chats, I can only imagine it will be an exciting moment for me. But they helped themselves to the papdis and enjoyed.


Get all the ingredients for papdi in a bowl and knead a stiff dough











Dahi Papdi Chat

Ingredients Needed:

For making Papdi

Besan / Gram flour - 100 gm 
Wheat flour - 2 tbsp
Ajwain / Bishop's weed - 1/2 tsp
Peppercorns, crushed  1/4 tsp
Coriander, 1/2 Cup finely chopped
Oil - 2 tsps
Water as required
Salt - to taste
Baking soda a pinch
Oil for frying

For Tamarind Chutney

Tamarind - 100 gm or a big lemon size
Jaggery, grated - 3 tps / 75gm
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Black Salt - 1/4 tsp
Coriander - Cumin powder - 3/4 tsp
Salt to taste

For making the Chaat

Potatoes, Boiled - 2 medium
Chaat Masala - 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
Curds / Yogurt - 1 cup


Method to prepare:

To Make The Papdi:

In a bowl take the besan, ajwain, crushed peppercorns, coriander Leaves, salt and baking soda. Rub in the oil, add water and make a stiff dough. This will be sticky so add the wheat flour. knead into a stiff dough.

Normally this is cut into long strips. But I prepared to make them into circles.

Roll the dough in big round, using a small cup, make out impressions out. Deep fry until crisp and golden yellow over a slow fire. Keep them aside.

To Make Tamarind Chutney:

Soak the tamarind in a little hot water, remove the impurities and extract.

Strain the tamarind sauce, add all the other ingredients, and heat until it thickens. Keep aside to cool.

Make marks on the potatoes, microwave for 6 mins

To Make Dahi Papdi Chaat / How to assemble the Dahi papdi Chat:

Beat curds and mix salt, sugar and chili powder.

Peel and dice the potatoes.

Spread papdi on a plate, and top with diced potatoes.

Pour the chutney on top and cover with the curd mix.

Sprinkle with chaat masala and garnish with coriander leaves.


This goes to Kid's Delight themed on Street Food and to PJ's Flavors of Maharasthtra

Check out the 25 bloggers running the next 7 days for the Blogging Maratho!

No comments:

Post a Comment