Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ragda Patties | Aloo Tikki Chat | Step by Step Recipe

Ragda Patties is another interesting Chat from Bombay. When I decided on Ragda Patties as one of the dishes I ought to make for this Kid's Delight Street Food, I never actually looked at the recipe. So imagine my shock when I set out to make this at 8.00 pm. I was under the impression that it called for green peas and I had even shopped to get shelled fresh peas, only to realize that for dried yellow peas.

Memories of those many times I remember this yellow peas being cooked at office for snacks came to mind. I never ate this because the aroma never appealed to me. So I was pretty much thinking that I might not like the Ragda when I make it. Still because there was no chance of changing the recipe now, I went and got a packet of those dried yellow peas and resigned to make it for evening snack.


Konda was happily asking what new chat I was going to make and it struck me that she is getting used to eating chats daily. I am sure she is going to be disappointed when I stop making these. Considering that the recipe sounded quite lengthy, it got completed very quickly. I referred couple of places, my own recipe collection, from one of the recipes shared by GDM members of which I am a member. After reading about couple of the recipes, I realized that as many Indian recipes, base might be same, how one actually cooks it varies. I ended up combining and modifying. Whatever, the end result was awesome, if I have to take Konda's reaction as the final verdict. She was jubilant beyond words. Even went for a second helping which she does only if the food was extremely good.

So I must say these past few days have been extremely soul satisfaction as I ended up making and enjoy my favorite food and in the process got my kid happy. Of course my boys are not grown up enough to appreciate a chat. Well I have to wait for some more years for that to happen, but they enjoy the sev, which by the way gets completed without us saving some for our chats.


Step by Step pictures to make Ragda Patties / Aloo Tikki Chat



To make the Ragda 

Wash and soak the Yellow dried peas overnight or at least 6 -8 hrs. Since I got it only about 1 pm, I soaked in hot water.
I got back to cooking this at about 8 in the evening, still I thinking soaking in hot water helped. Drain the water you used to soak and add water till the peas is covered. Pressure cook it for about 4 -5 times or till it is tender. you will see outer skin floating on the top you can remove them.

Heat a non stick pan, add 1 tsp oil sauté finely chopped onions till brown. then add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste.
Then add Chili powder, Coriander powder, Cumin powder, salt and Turmeric. Sauté well.

Next goes the cooked peas, mix well.
Add enough water to get a thick gravy. Bring to boil. Ensure the gravy is loose and not thicken. It should be of pouring consistency.


To make the Patties
I love making these patties as I make them often for burgers. This time it is again in a different way.

Microwave the potatoes for 7 mins by sticking them on the top with a sharp knife. Since I got fresh peas and wanted my patties to look colorful, added those fresh peas I bought. Blanch them for 5 mins in microwave.
In a bowl, take the peeled potatoes, blanched peas, bread slices (soaked and squeezed from water), green chili paste, red chili powder, roasted Cumin powder, salt to taste.

Mix well to get a dough like this.

Then divide into small balls and flatten them into discs.

Roll them over bread crumbs


Shallow fry these patties on both sides by sprinkling oil over them.

Once they turn golden in colour and have those nice spots, you can remove.

To assemble the Ragda Patties

Have the finely chopped onions, coriander leaves.
Have the Tamarind Chutney and Green Chutney.

In a bowl, place two patties next to each other.

Pour the Ragda over the patties,

Add the tamarind and Green chutney as required. Sprinkle chat masala over this.
Then goes the onions and coriander leaves.

Finally the sev, add lots if you love this.

If you find the Ragda Patties very spicy, then you can add a dash of Sweet, spicy Curds/Yogurt over the top.

Curds is beaten well, a tsp of sugar and  two pinches of chili powder is added before being beaten again.
Ragda Patties | Aloo Tikki Chat Recipe
Adapted from GDM Member & personal paper clipping

Ingredients Needed:

For the Ragda:

Yellow dried Peas - 1 cup
Onions - 1 medium
Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Roasted Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 - 2 tsp

For the Patties:

Potatoes - 4 big
Fresh Peas - 50 gms
Green chili paste - 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Bread Slices - 3 nos

For Assembling the Ragda Patties

Ragdas
Patties
Sweet and Spicy Curds/Yogurt
Tamarind Chutney
Green Chutney (Coriander- Mint- Green Chilies)
Chopped Onions
Chopped coriander leaves
Chat Masala
Sev
I prefer to serve this in a wider bowl, rather than a plate which makes it an acrobatic task to the person who is suppose to enjoy the treat, rather than fighting to get all of it in the same shot.

I don't have to spell the verdict. Everybody at home simply loved this Ragda patties.


This goes to Kid's Delight themed on Street Food and to PJ's Flavors of Maharasthtra

Check out the 25 bloggers running the next 7 days for the Blogging Marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment