Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Nankhatai | How to make Nan khatai with Step by Step Recipe

Nankhatai is something that I have been hearing over the many years since blogging. Infact I came to know of the word only after blogging. In our neck of the woods, we call it butter biscuits, ghee biscuits, and some. So Nankhatai sounded very mysterious. When I finally read couple of them, I realized that it's the same.

I have made butter biscuits with both shortening and butter. But I must admit the taste varies when it comes to making it with ghee. When Simmi posted her family recipe that they end up making for Diwali, I was so taken in by those white baked treats. I had ever since wanted to bake them but never came around.
So when I decided I was going to get out all my bookmarked cookies, this was naturally one of my choice.

When I set out to make these, it was pretty late by which time everybody went to bed, so I had the entire place to self. Simmi had given for a kilo measurement. I reduced to a cup and the only ingredient I had to thick twice was rava / semolina that was added.

After having all the ingredients ready, I then had a doubt with the amount of ghee that used. The ghee that I had was solid even at room temperature, so was not sure if I had to melt it and measure. I was reluctant to add more than what I had taken. Hoping to catch Simmi online to clarify, I was happy to see her and I pinged her right away. I always enjoy our late night chats and haven't been doing that offlate. She said that the dough has to hold up and once baked the cookies will puff up.

Since I didn't have chironji seeds and completely forgot about black sesame seeds she mentioned, all I remembered were the red colouring. I went free with that and result were some colourful cookies.

I could hardly wait for it to get done. When I finally got to taste, I realized why Simmi's Mom makes it for Diwali. It's a real treat! Thank you Simmi, this recipe is surely a keeper.

Step by Step pictures to make Nankhatai.








Ingredients Needed:

All purpose flour/ Maida -1  cup
Sugar - 1 cup,
Ghee - 1 cup
Rava / Semolina - 25 gms appr
Cardamon powder a pinch

How to make Nankhatai

Powder the sugar to a fine powder.

Grease a baking tray and keep aside.

Take the flour, sugar, rava, cardamon and mix well. Melt the ghee and slowly add to the flour, start kneading it well.

Once you complete with the ghee, the dough will almost hold up. If not also I think it should just be fine once baked.

Pinch out small balls and place on the greased tray. For the decoration, I dabbed a splash of red colour over it.

Pre heat the oven at 170 C and bake for 15 mins. Then at 155 C for 5 mins. Allow it cool.



I felt sorry about the hasty pictures but I really couldn't help at taking pictures at half past 11 at night and I hope you will excuse once you taste these treats.

Sending these to Kid's Delight, guest hosted by Gayathri themed on Crunchy Snacks for Kids

Also to Harini who is guest hosting Pari's 'Only Baked'.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#7

No comments:

Post a Comment