Friday, July 15, 2011

Ajwain Ka Paratha - Parathas Flavored with Carom Seed | Step by Step Recipe

Welcome to another edition of Blogging Marathon, we are running the 7th this month. I have along with me, 23 bloggers doing the two week long Marathon. I have spent considerable amount of time thinking over the themes, so I hope you enjoy them as well.

These are the themes you will be seeing us blogging for the next two weeks.

Seven days of Crunchy Snacks for Kids
Seven days of Microwave Cooking
Cooking from the back pack
Seven days Regional Recipes
Combo Meals
No butter Bakes for Diet
Cooking from cookbook

For the first week, I have chosen Cooking from the back Pack. Over the years I have saved up so many cut outs from food packets, ingredients, masala packets etc. On many occasions, I have written down the recipes, but after a while I started saving up the clippings hoping to cook from them and keep or discard based on the results. If you want to have an idea on how vast my recipe collection based on these paper backs or pack recipes, read on my recipe collection.

But for this theme, I wanted us to concentrate mostly on the pack backs. So now I have the opportunity to browse through the collection I have. I have collected many such papers from milkmaid, cocoa, macaroni etc. But I also wanted to make sure I don't repeat the main ingredient or the packet. Like there is no point if I make 7 different recipes from Milkmaid back recipes using condensed milk. So I have tried my best not to repeat the ingredient, and selected different recipes with different main ingredients. Hope you will enjoy as much as I enjoyed making them or my family eating them.

The first in the series is made with corn flour as the star. My stint with corn flour started during my college days when I was making American Chopsuey very frequently. Those were the days when Cauliflower Manchurain or homemade soups were a hit. Amma used to buy the Brown & Polson brand most and the recipes are listed at the back. They also give about couple more recipes. I have collected so many of these and always wanted to try. I was really happy finally making something from it.

For the second week, I have selected to do Crunchy Snacks for Kids, as Gayathri is hosting the Kid's Delight event themed on Crunchy Snacks.

Memories are really something, they make you feel light and carefree. Like I visited Konda's sports day function at her school. She was getting a gold medal. Seeing all those kids, yelling, running around, made me remember my own school days. Just yesterday I was talking to my schoolmate who studied with me since class 5 and we were remembering our own school days and now we have kids of that age. I know I sound so cliched, but where did the days vanish. The memories are still so fresh. At times I feel it's a big play that I am watching, and I am going to wake up and get ready for school!
I know I know I have to get to the recipe..:)



In a bowl, take flour, wheat flour, corn flour, ajwain, salt
Knead to a soft dough
 Roll out and apply ghee
 Close and roll out again as a disc.
 Cook on hot tawa.
 I took this for my lunch paired with Chettinadu Sorakkai Kurma

Ajwain Paratha - Parathas Flavored with Carom Seeds

Brown & Polson Cornflour - 1/2 cup
Wheat flour / Atta - 1 cup
All purpose flour / Maida - 1/2 cup
Ajwain / Carom Seeds / Bishop's weed - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee/ Oil as required


Method to prepare:


In a bowl, take all the flours, ajwain, salt and with water knead to a soft dough. 


As you do your regular parathas roll out as a disc. Apply ghee on top, fold into a triangle or into pleats and roll out again after dusting with flour. 

Heat a tawa and cook the parathas on both sides.


Serve with pickle and curds or as I served with Chettinadu Sorakkai Kurma



Notes: The recipe called for complete flour, so I made it healthy by adding more atta than maida.
I love ajwain as adding that gives a whole new taste, I add it to puris, samosas etc.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#7

No comments:

Post a Comment