Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Vegetable Biryani with Step by Step Recipe | Indian Lunch Box Recipes

When you pack your lunch box for work, you are always on the lookout for quick one pot meal or something easy. Even with so many Vegetable Biryanis that I have posted, another one was never a problem. Today's cooking from back pack features Vegetable Biryani, got from the back of a basmati rice packet. This cover has been with me for so many years. It must have been at that point when I stopped cutting it down and saved it as such. Guess by now you know how much of a mess my collection must be with so many loose covers and papers.

Though I have enjoyed all my BM themes all these months, I must confess this is the best of all. It is actually making me clean my collection. I can now dispose the papers and not worry about writing it down as it's already recorded on the blog. Surprising all the 4 recipes that I have tried it turned out well. Of course, there has been fair amount of customization done to the recipe. As I have said I can never follow a recipe to the exact notes, plus to make sure the dish gets eaten up.

Like for this vegetable biryani, there is no mention of green chilis or red chili powder. I can't imagine hubby dear even touching it with a stick, let alone eat it with raitha.

By the time I reached the end of the cooking process, I could feel the wonderful aroma spreading through the house. Once it was done, I was sure it's going to be very good. I served with just onion raitha and it went very well.

Step by Step pictures to cook Vegetable Biriyani








Ingredients Needed:

Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Vegetables - 2 cups (Beans, Carrot, Peas and Potato)
Oil - 2 -3 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Mint Leaves / Pudina - 15 leaves
Ginger garlic paste
Lemon juice - 1 tps
Salt to taste

Spices to be added

Ginger garlic paste - 3/4 tsp
Fennel powder- 3/4 tsp
Roasted Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamoms - 1/2 tps

Green chilies - 2 medium (not asked in the original recipe)

How to make Vegetable Biryani in pressure cooker:

Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 15 mins.

Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the bayleaf. Then add onions, saute till brown.

Add the chopped vegetables, simmer for 3- 4 mins with lid covered.

Then add all the spices, saute well and again cook in simmer for 3 mins

Measure 3 & 1/2 cups of water, add to the vegetables, add salt and lemon juice along with mint leaves.

When the water starts boiling, add the strained basmati rice.

Cover with pan with lid and cook for 2 whistles.

Serve with curry and raitha



Notes:
The back pack recipe called for all spices to be ground as whole spice. Since I had all the spices powders, I added them as such. You can grind them as whole, it will be different.
The recipe didn't call for chilies, since biryani will end up not being spicy, I added green chilies. Also I simply served with raitha as it was spicy on its own.
When you want to cook this in a regular pan, increase the water measure to 1/2 cup and cover with a heavy lid and cook in low flame.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#7

No comments:

Post a Comment