Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How to make Chhole Masala / Channa Masala | Step by Step Recipe

We have been using this Everest brand for years, yet never bothered to check out the recipe at the back. Yesterday when I went to buy something else for tomorrow's post, I remembered that my Chhole Masala pack was getting over. So picked up this packet. Just on thought checked the recipe that was listed. I was surprised that the recipe was different from what I make. Now the recipe I make is adapted from what Amma makes and I always that she got the recipe from this. Seeing that it is different decided to make it this morning. 

I had a different plan for today, that will be made next week..:) After all I am blank on ideas on what to make for the Crunchy snacks and stocking up whatever idea I can get.

After much hungama, which I will share in tomorrow's post, this got done and sent for everybody's lunch today. Since it's the "chennai" masala that chinnu loves, he was happy to have it for lunch. I must say I loved the different taste this had. Though the recipe calls for onions and tomatoes to be added as finely chopped, I always prefer to make puree and add. Makes life more hassle, if you know how it is with kids.

I have already two different ways of making chhole/ channa, glad to add another recipe. So enjoy the step by step pictures to make this recipe

Doesn't this lunch box look cute! New addition for Konda..:)

Step by Step pictures to make Chhole Masala / Channa Masala











 
Ingredients Needed:

Kabuli Channa / Chickpea - 1 cup
Onions, puree - 2 medium
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Chili powder - 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp
Chhole Masala - 1 tsp
Chat Masala - 1/2 tsp
Kasuri Methi - few
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Green Chilies - 3 long
Ginger, 1" as grated.

How to make Chhole Masala :

Wash and soak kabuli channa overnight. Pressure cook it till done, it takes about 3 -4 whistles for me. Gently mash some channa, this thickens the gravy.

Heat a non stick pan, add oil followed by onion puree. Saute till the onion is well cooked.

Then add all the spice powders, salt, mix well and cook for 1 mins. Then add the tomato puree. Continue cooking in sim, till the tomato turns thick.

Add slit green chilis and grated ginger. Drain the channa and mash some of them. Add to the tomato paste and cook well. Then add the drained water and bring to boil.

Finally add the coriander leaves. Simmer for couple mins or till the gravy is thick enough.

Serve with rotis.

We really enjoyed the different taste this had, never thought adding chat masala would make so much difference. I am glad I got another recipe.


Channa Masala
Channa Masala with Aloo

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#7

No comments:

Post a Comment