Friday, October 21, 2011

Besan Ki Burfi | How to make Besan Ki Barfi in Microwave | Diwali Sweets | Step by Step Recipe

Besan Ki Burfi can be simply referred as Mysore Pak. However something made google and I came to learn lot more than I expected. In gujarati, it's also called Magas. And the way it is prepared is little different. Same measurement, yet a different method and you arrive at a different textured sweet.

In Mysore Pak also you get two different versions. One the ghee dipping version and the other version that has a honeycomb texture, which actually uses less ghee than the first one. I have made both versions of Mysore pak last year. So I wasn't planning on making another this year.

Yet for the last day of Blogging Marathon, special on Indian Sweets, I came upon this recipe that went by the name Chana dal Burfi / Besan Ki Burfi. Reading through the recipe I realized the ingredients and measurement were different. So I decided I might as well make it and moreover in microwave as I always felt cooking Besan in microwave is pretty easy.

Of course, I had to time it very carefully as my first attempt in making Almond Katli ended up with a burnt one for the first batch. So there I was, popping it and pulling it out every other min, making sure I caught it right. As you know cooking in microwave, takes very less time. So I was making sure I calculate the time correctly.

Besan is also referred as Channa Dal powder. As I had said earlier, Burfi / Barfi is a sweet in fudge form and not that loose form that gets to be called Halwa. Same ingredients and measurements. Cooking time differs to get a different sweet altogether.

Check out How to make Mysore Pak

Step by Step Picture Recipe

















Besan Ki Burfi / Barfi

Ingredients Needed:

Besan / Channa Dal - 1 cup
Milk powder - 1 cup
Ghee - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 & 1/2 cup
Water - 2 cups
Roasted nuts for garnish

Microwave safe bowls.


How to make Besan Ki Burfi

Microwave the ghee for a min.

Mix in Besan and roast for 2 mins. Stir the mix in between a min. Once done, remove and mix in the milk powder. Set it aside.

In another microwave safe bowl, add sugar and water. Micro for 3 mins. Once the sugar melts, strain it to remove impurities if any. Then again micro for 3- 4 mins. You will see the syrup all thick and can form one thread consistency.

Remove and pour this syrup into the besan- milk powder mix and combine everything well. Microwave for 2 mins.

After a minute, you will notice the mix all coming up frothy. Beat it up well and again micro for another minute.

You will know it's done, when you notice the mix sliding away from bottom. If required micro for another 30 secs.

Remove, beat well and pour into a greased plate. Allow it to cool, cut into pieces.

Garnish with nuts on top.


Notes: From what I read, for making Magas, the sugar is not melted but added as such for it to set. I guess that will give it's a grainy texture. In this microwave method, however the sugar was completely melted.

Sending this to the following events:

Pradnya who is hosting the October Edition of MEC

Suma, who is hosting my favorite event MLLA# 40, an event started by Susan

Gayathri  who is hosting 'Only'- Sweets and Desserts, an event started by Pari
Serve it - Festival Potluck hosted by Krithi and Danny 

No comments:

Post a Comment