Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pudachi Wadi | Coriander Rolls – Maharashtrian Special | Indian Cooking Challenge for April | How to make Pudachi Wadi Step By Step Recipe!

This month for Indian Cooking Challenge, I thought I should finally attempt at making Pudachi Wadi or Coriander Rolls a specialty dish from Maharashtra. The first time I heard this being discussed was in the GDM group, where I always get excited by the new things I get to know. One of the member was asking if anybody knew how to make Pudachi Wadi. Well I am not sure if anybody replied back with a recipe, I was sure curious to know what it was.

A simple search on google lead me to Archana of Tried & Tested Recipes. I remembered Archana from my early years of blogging. She was a good friend with whom I interacted through email. She no longer blogs, which is very sad. She has some awesome recipes on her blog which I am sure will be a good collection of dishes from her kitchen. Reading through the recipe I knew it's something I would love it. It was like trying to understand a new dish that must be quite famous in that cuisine. I knew coriander leaves a plenty now in the market and I wasn't way off in procuring it now.


Well I announced and quite simply forgot it as I planned to make it on 14th. Lataji pinged me weeks ago saying she tried and it turned out to be great. Slowly other members replied back with the same feedback. I was so excited and impatient to try it on my own. 

The ingredients are very simply, you should be having them in your pantry. Couple of the members though replied back saying Poppy seeds is not available in their place, which is sad as I replied that really adds an unique taste to the end product. The entire process gets done quite quickly and you won't really feel it being strenuous. But I was wondering how on earth this was prepared in large quantities for a big joint family. It does require couple of more helping hands to get it done. And what I realized was I had to control not finishing it off all myself and should wait to take pictures.

Lataji also referred me to Khaugiri's Pudachi Wadi. Her post was quite clear in instructions  I ended up referring her site in the end and mixing both!

In a bowl, take the wheat flour, gram flour, Red chili powder, Turmeric powder, Salt and hot oil.
Knead to a stiff dough. Add as little water as required and let it rest aside for 30 mins.
For the stuffing, heat a non stick pan with 1 tsp oil. Fry the grated dry coconut, Poppy seeds, Sesame seeds, ginger-chili paste, finely chopped garlic, red chili powder, salt. Keep stirring so that the coconut doesn't get burnt.
Wash and chopped the coriander leaves finely and add to the pan, simmer for a while till the leaves are cooked.
In a bowl, mix tamarind pulp, Garam Masala and oil. Keep it aside.

When you are ready to make these, heat a pan with oil for deep frying. Pinch out small balls the size of a ping pong ball. Roll out a disc not very thin or thick.
Spread a spoonful of Tamarind - Garam Masala paste over it.
Place a spoon of the coriander masala  and spread evenly
Then tightly roll out over the stuffing and completely seal the ends.
The roll will finally look like this.
When the oil is hot, deep fry the rolls over medium flame until both sides are cooked and golden in colour.


Pudachi Wadi | Coriander Rolls  – Maharashtrian Special

Ingredients Needed:

For the Outer Covering

Gram flour / Besan - 1 cup
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder
Hot oil / Mohan - 3 tsp
Salt to taste

For the Stuffing

Coriander - 2 cups
Grated Coconut - 3/4 cup
Poppy seeds / khuskhus - 2 tsp
Garlic cloves - 3
Green chilly - Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
Lemon juice - 2 tsp
Salt to taste.
 
For Paste

Kala Masala / Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Tamarind pulp - 2 tsp

Method to prepare:

For the Covering

In a bowl, mix all the ingredients and with some water knead a stiff dough. Let it rest for 30 mins. This is important as the first batch that rested well came out well done.

For the Coriander stuffing

Wash and finely chop the coriander leaves.

Heat a non stick pan with 1 tsp oil, add the ginger - chili paste, finely chopped garlic. Then add the dry coconut, poppy seeds, sesame seeds. salt. Keep stirring else, the coconut will get burnt. Then add the chopped coriander leaves. Cook for 2 -3 mins. When it is done, add lemon juice.

Remove from fire and allow to cool.

To make Paste

In a bowl take the tamarind pulp, garam masala and oil. Mix well.

To assemble the Pudachi Wadi

Heat a pan with oil for deep frying.

Pinch out small balls the size of ping pong balls. roll out a disc the 6". The discs should not be very thin or thick. 

Spread a spoonful of the paste over the disc. Then take 1 tsp of the coriander stuffing, spread it evenly on the top. Starting from one side tightly roll over the stuffing.

You can do this two ways. You can either flip both sides over each other and close tightly. else you can roll and flatten on all sides.

Make sure the openings are closed on all sides.

When the oil is hot, deep fry these rolls and cook on both sides.

Drain when it is done.

Serve with chutney of choice like Imli chutney, Pudina Chutney. I served with Tomato Sauce, and we simply loved it.

Notes:

One recipe called for Ginger Green Chili paste, while other didn't. I simply added both Chili - ginger paste and Chili powder also.
The recipe calls for Sugar, which I didn't add to the stuffing.
Archana's recipe calls for onions, which I completely overlooked.
Since I didn't add onions, it was good the next day too. Just heat it over tawa and serve.



************************************************************************
Today is the last day for BM group 1, will be starting the group 2 tomorrow.

Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5 along with me

Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Cool Lassi(e), Harini, Kalyani, Priya Mahadevan, Suma  
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special: Priya Suresh, Veena,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets: Shylaja, Srivalli 
Seven Days of Regional Specials: Priya Yallapantula  
Under 15 mins Quick Breakfast:Aarthi, Vaishali


To all my ICC members, please link your Pudachi Wadi post to Mr. Linky.

No comments:

Post a Comment