Sunday, May 22, 2011

How to make Watermelon Granita Step by Step Recipe

The last and the final group for the 5th Edition of BM starts today. We have some new members along with some old members doing this week with me. The themes are the same and it makes it more exciting because I chose something completely different from the regular one for me.

With the theme Summer Coolers being there to help me get over our hot climate, it’s also a push for me to send entries to PJ who is hosting Kid’s Delight this month themed on Cool Comforts. I really had tough time deciding on what to make. I finally wrote down what I wanted to make and that really helped. I was also discussing the recipes with Champa, who greatly helped me hitting on these simple coolers done quickly in my hectic schedule right now.


For the day one, I decided on watermelon granite as it’s watermelon season here. I did a quick search on google and landed on many sites giving me what granita is all about. I quickly read on it on the wiki and decided I was going to simple mix all methods together.

How to make Watermelon Granita Step by Step Recipe



Sugar melted in water
 Lemon Juice
 Watermelon juice
 After 2 hours in freezer
Fluff with fork.
After 7 hrs

Watermelon Granita

Ingredients Needed: 

Watermelon chunks, finely chopped – 5 cups, 
Sugar – ¾ cup, 
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
Water – ¼ cup

Method to prepare: 

Scoop out the watermelon, remove seeds and chop finely. Measure out 5 cups and pulse for couple of times to get a smooth liquid. Sieve if required.

Meanwhile boil the water in a saucepan and add the sugar. Keep stirring for the sugar to melt. Allow it to cool and when the watermelon juice is ready, add the sugar along with lemon juice.
Adjust for sweet and lemon.

Transfer to a bowl and freeze. All sites said to fluff after 30 mins. But guess they didn’t talk in reference to my place where it is extremely hot.

Only after 2 hours it was forming crystals. Fluff through the liquid using a fork for the crystals to form. Freeze it back.

This process is to be repeated every 30 mins. I happily left it overnight to repeat the process after 6 hrs.

When it is all set, you will see those flakes formed on top.

The taste was fantastic. You will have to make sure that you scrap the granite really well; else you will still have ice chunks.

I made sure I take the pictures early morning, as I knew otherwise it will melt within minutes. Even then it was melting pretty fast. Hubby dear felt it was too icy for him and it was best suited for kids.

I loved the way the lemon juice rendered itself to watermelon.

Sending this to Kid's Delight hosted this month PJ, themed on Cool Comforts



Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5 along with me 

Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Aarthi, Divya, Jayashree, Jayasree, Kaveri, Pavani,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets:GayathriPriya Suresh,
Seven Days of Microwave Meals: Monika,
Seven Days of Regional Specials: Cool Lassi(e), Harini, Vaishali, Suma
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special: Kalyani
Summer Coolers: Kamalika, Srivalli

No comments:

Post a Comment