Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gunta Pongadalu - Andhra Style | Paniyaram | Step by Step Recipe

Before I start on, let me thank all my wonderful blogger friends who are forever so supportive. I announced the 3 edition of Blogging Marathon, thinking I will limit it to just 12 bloggers. But the response has been so overwhelming that I now decided to create another group for the rest of them! While the first group does it from 3rd to 9th March, the second group will do it from 4th to 10th. 

I hope everybody will enjoy the fun of utter chaos! Well I am kidding, I love our daily visits. Look forward to our daily emails. They are very interesting to say the least. Though I have tweaked the themes a bit, I see that some of the hard ones are not attempted at all. Maybe I ought to force this somehow.

As expected, I stick to Kid Friendly Recipes. Call me selfish but I really want to have a long list of dishes that my kids will eat without making a fuss. So if you can help you are most welcome. So I will not only have some great recipes on hand, I hope to make some for the Kid's Delight Event too.

Now for the post! I have already blogged about Guntha Pongadalu. You might wonder why I have to blog on the same thing. If you see I already have two recipes that works out well. Amma mostly makes a special batter when she decides to make this for breakfast. There are also those occasions when we use the left over batters.

Paniyarams always remind me of the time I eat this in Madurai. It was during one of my summer vacations that we had gone there. Those were white, soft and disappeared moments it came on the table. 

Amma gave me this recipe saying that this proportion is followed in andhra. Well looks like it is followed in different places also.


Even though ours do come out soft and fluffy, as expected I used to compare with those I remember eating out. When I started working, I used to frequent the Sangeeta that was close to my office. I used to go there for evening snacks with friends. Paniyaram was famous on their menu and when I invariably order this, it used to disappear within minutes. 

Amma finally gave me another proportion that worked out even better. So what better way than this to convince my daughter to eat this. Of course as expected, I didn't season her paniyarams. But did for us.
Step by step to make Paniyaram

Grease the paniyaram pan, spoon the batter into the holes, sprinkle oil and simmer.
Using the pointed ladle, turn it down slowly.

Continue with the rest. Allow it to turn golden

Now all of them are well done.


Gunta Pongadalu

For the batter:

Raw Rice - 2 cups,
Urad dal - 1 cup,
Bengal Gram - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
A pinch of Soda before using the batter
Soaking fermentation time is as usual as Dosa batter

For seasoning:

Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Bengal Gram - 1 tbsp
Cashew nuts - as required
Coriander leaves
Oil - 1 tsp

To be added raw

Onions - 1 medium
Green chillies - 2 long
Curry leaves few

Method to prepare:

The batter

Soak the rice and lentils for 4-5 hours, Grind to a smooth batter and ferment overnight.

Take the required amount of batter.

Heat a kadai with oil, saute the ingredients listed under seasoning, once it sputters add it to the required batter as such along with finely chopped onions and rest of the ingredients.

Heat the paniyaram skillet and pour one spoonful of batter to the holes. You can add oil to the top if required. Cover with lid and simmer it for 5 mins. Once its cooked, turn it around using a spoon or knife.

Serve it hot with ground nut chutney or coconut chutney.

Notes:

Always use only the amount of batter that you might require, refrigerate the rest. And when it is served to kids, I have seen that they don't' like the onions.

As you might have guessed I am sending this to Kid's Delight,- hosted this month by Champa themed on Restaurant Recreations

Check out the 11 bloggers doing the Marathon along with me..  

No comments:

Post a Comment