Friday, March 25, 2011

Kadala Curry with Coconut Pulao | Kids' Lunch Box

Ok it may not be the best of the pictures I captured, what with the last minute rush to send Konda to school and get the boys ready too. Even if I am only cooking and packing the kid's lunch box or feeding their breakfast, it invariably gets late. Since I was doing the weekly menu plan for Konda, I had to follow this recipe that I had put it.
As you see it was pretty long back that I did this. I had to click a picture at the last moment, seconds before it was packed off, naturally you can see it wasn't very presentable. But Konda came back asking for this again in the evening. And boys did the same. So it goes to prove that pictures may not speak volumes of the taste it actually has. Well I know that's a stupid analogy! I know I will have to replace the picture sometime. Until then make this for your kids and enjoy!

Boys vacation is on full swing and we are at our wit's end to know how to keep them occupied. Guess I could do with lot's of advice on that!

Coconut Pulao was almost the same way I did previous. Except I added some mint leaves and more coriander leaves. 

I know Kadala Curry is a famous combo with Kerala Puttu. I like it paired with chapathi, though with pulao it tasted great too. This is not that spicy as I otherwise make it. Since it was packed for Konda's lunch it was mild in spice.


Kadala Curry with Coconut Pulao

Brown Chickpea / Kadala - 2 cups
Onions - 1 medium
Tomatoes - 1 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 2"
Cardamom - 2
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Coconut paste - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves

Method to prepare:

Wash and soak chickpeas overnight. Pressure cook till it is tender.

Heat a non stick pan with oil. Add all the whole spices, saute well. Then add finely chopped onions, saute till it turns brown. Then add the tomatoes, salt and cover. Cook till it turns mushy.

Then add the chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Simmer for 5 mins.

Finally add the cooked channa, mash some with spoon for thickening the gravy.

Add 1 cup of water along with coconut paste. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 mins, garnish with coriander leaves.

There are many ways to make it but this is the simplest one if you are planning to pack for your kid.

I mixed this kadala curry with Coconut Pulao and packed her lunch. Makes a easy lunch and very tasty at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment