Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chana Dal Bihari Style | Dal with Chana Dal Step by Step Recipe | Simple Bihari Thali

When I had zeroed on the rice recipe, I was back at square one trying to decide on a side dish that could go well for the rice. Knowing that the Rice was a bit spicy, at least for my taste I decided it should be a simple dal to enhance the taste and flovours. I was searching this site for ideas and saw the chana dal that sounded very mild and interesting. The use of ingredients in a different way always intrudes me. I was determined I was going to make this.

This dal is an interesting blend of spices used as a whole. I later asked my colleague and she told me that they mostly use the spices in their dals as a whole. Since I was running late, I couldn't simmer the dal as it was told, still the dal was thick and flavoursome. Along with the rice and dal I made this simple raitha with Keera, it's almost a very simple raitha but spiced with chat masala and kala namak. I saw this at Sia's space and she had also got the recipe from the site I was searching.

When we had the meal I knew I was going to be making this combo regularly. We loved how well that dal tasted and it didn't taste much the taste of the Rice but rather enhanced it so much. To go with the Rice and dal I also made the Cucumber Raitha. This was different as this has Kala Namak. After my experiment with Chola Fali, I have fallen in love with Kala namak. It surely takes the dish to the next level!









Chana Daal Bihari Style
Adapted from here

Ingredients Needed:

To be boiled:

Chana Daal - 3/4 cup
Yellow Split Moong Daal - handful
Ginger Paste - 2"
Tomato, finely chopped - 1 medium
Turmeric powder a pinch
Caraway / Shah Jeera  - 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf / Tejpatta - 1
Whole Peppercorns / Kaali Mirch - 6
Black Cardamon / Bari Elaichi - 1
Cardamon / Chhoti Elaichi - 1
Salt to Taste
Green chilies - 2 small
Coriander Leaves, finely chopped - 2 tsp

Onion, juliennes - 1 large fried golden in 1 tbsp butter.

Seasoning:

Ghee - 1 tbsp
Hing - 1 pinch
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp

How to make Chana Dal
In a pressure cooker take the chana dal and moong dal. Wash thoroughly and add about 4 times of water
To the dal add ginger paste, coconut, tomato, turmeric, salt, bay leaf, peppercorns and both the cardamons
Pressure cook for 3 -4 whistles
Once the pressure falls, heat a small pan wiht ghee and add hing and jeera. When the jeera pops, pour over the simmering dal
Finally garnish with butter, coriander leaves and fried onions.

Notes:

The recipe calls for chopped coconut to be added, that I completely forgot in the last moment.
I added Shah Jeera instead of Cumin while boiling the dal.
In the original recipe there was no mention of red chili or green chilies, I added to suit our taste.




Kheera Raitha / Cucumber Salad

Ingredients Needed

Cucumber, grated - 1 cup
Curds / Yogurt, beaten - 2 cups
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder a pinch
Chat Masala - 1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder  a pinch
Kaala Namak/Black Salt -  a pinch
Garam Masala (optional)  a pinch
Coriander Leaves, finely chopped - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

How to make Kheera Raita

Wash, peel and grate the cucumber.
Add the grated cucumber to the beaten curds and mix in all the ingredients.
Combine everything well and refrigerate.
Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves if required.
Serve with the thali.

Sending this Keera Raitha to Richa, who is hosting Veggie/Fruit of the Month started by Priya of Mharo Rajasthan's Recipes

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 11

No comments:

Post a Comment