Saturday, December 17, 2011

Paruppu Kulambu ~ Paruppu Kuzhambu | Simple Aloo Roast | South Indian Thali ~ Step by Step Recipe

There are really times when you see something and realize that there is still so much you got to learn. I felt that way when I saw my colleague who got this for his lunch. He had cooked up this dal and seeing how nice it looked, I asked him what it was. He said it was Paruppu Kulambu, imagine I have lived all my life here and I haven't heard something like this. On closer investigation I understood it was the Mudda pappu or thick toor dal cooked plain and served the way  it is served in Andhra. He was calling it by a different name. Still it was a lesson I liked learning.

Within couple of days I had the chance to make it myself. It was a saturday and hubby dear wasn't coming for lunch. I decided I will try this simple dal and pair it with yet another simpler aloo Roast. As you might have guessed Aloo roast anytime tastes great, especially the way I made with extra few more drops of oil. Plus the fact it had garlic added. When I was making the meal, I was reminded of the fact that this could very well be called Cooking up a meal. Infact after I made it, I almost wanted to change the theme to Cooking up a meal. But imagined how it might actually be. With simpler dishes it's always easy to plan such things.

End of the entire cooking adventure I was left with a urge to capture a typical classic homely comfort, a simple dal, curry, rasam, curds and semiya payasam! A comforting meal for a weekend special. The entire meal got completed in 30 minutes, maybe few mins more for clicking the Step by Step Pictures. Planning to collect such Thalis for those tough times when we run out of ideas!
 A South Indian Thali!

Paruppu Kulambu ~ Paruppu Kuzhambu

Wash and pressure cook the toor dal.
Once cooked, add more water as required and make it thin.
In a pan, heat oil and ghee.
Add the tempering ingredients and cook.
Keep stirring till done.
 Pour over the cooking dal.
Bring it to boil again.
..till you get the right consistency!

Paruppu Kulambu 

Ingredients Needed:

Toor dal - 1 cup
Turmeric a pinch
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves few

For Seasoning

Mustard, Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Red chilies - 2 -3
Ghee and oil - 1 each

How to make Paruppu Kulambu

Wash the toor dal and take it in a pressure cooker.
Pressure cook the dal with enough water. Once the pressure falls, add salt and more water to make it thin.

Put it back to heat and bring to boil.

Simple Aloo Roast / Potato Curry

I am sure there will hardly be a person who will not profess undying love to this tuber! I was resisting for a long long time, until recently I have given up and confessed by love, atleast to this roast! It does surely grow on you, the more you resist, the worse you fall.

Microwave for 7 mins after making marks on the washed potatoes.
Heat a non stick pan with oil, add mustard, urad dal and curry leaves
Add boiled and cubed potatoes.
Simmer and cook adding few drops of oil every few mins.
Add crushed garlic and sambar powder, salt.
combine and cook

After 15 mins you are done!


Simple Potato Roast

Ingredients Needed

Potatoes - 4 medium
Salt to taste
Sambar powder
Garlic - 2 big cloves
Curry leaves
Mustard, urad dal
Oil - 3 -4 tsp

Meanwhile heat a pan with ghee and oil, temper with seasoning and pour over the dal. Finally garnish with fresh coriander leaves.

While the dal is getting cooked, you can microwave the potatoes by marking slits on it and microwaving for 7 mins. Once done, cool and peel the skin. Chop it into fine pieces.

Heat a non stick pan with oil, add curry leaves, mustard, Urad dal. When the mustard pops, add the cubed potatoes. simmer and add crushed garlic, sambar powder, salt. Simmer and cook on open till the potatoes turn crispy.

Add few drops of oil as you cook, so that the potatoes are well roasted. Continue cooking till you get the aloo very crisp.
This takes about 15 mins or so.

Cumin Pepper Rasam!








Tags: South Indian Recipes, Tamil Recipes, South Indian Thali, Simple Dals, Potato Roast

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 11

No comments:

Post a Comment