Monday, December 19, 2011

Chole Recipe | Chole for Bhature

I always think that life changed a whole lot since I started blogging. Blogging has affected my life and my family more than what I can actually say. It took a different shape when I actually met some of them and many bloggers have been part of our family conversation. It has been a life changing experience and one that I will always enjoy. Even though I don't actually interact much as I used to previously, having started the Blogging Marathon, it has again got me close to a close knitted group, which is so generous and forth coming in sharing what they know, their experience etc. In many ways they are my closest pals.

Every edition I announce, I look forward to meeting new bloggers, wishing more bloggers join me. Yet even if one of my regular BM pals miss, I itch so much to mail them asking why they are not doing it. And trust me, I love our discussions and enjoy doing the BM every month.

So when there is something to share and rejoice it becomes a communal celebrations all together. This post is very special as it's dedicated to welcome a new member into our group - a special baby shower for welcoming PJ's Junior 2. When we got to know of the wonderful news, we wanted to do something special for her. Vaishali popped the question I was wanting to ask, and it opened a flood of enthusiasm among the entire group. An occasion such as this can even make a person who just joined us, to be part of this lovely thing. I was so trilled to know that Mireille Roc was as eager as us in wishing PJ.

We wanted to celebrate by cooking something from PJ's space. The way each of them have responded and recreated was simply awesome. I must thank  Aarthi  for taking efforts in collecting all the images and creating a collage.
Here's wishing PJ the very best and hope you enjoy this!

Check out what the other bloggers have made from her blog

Aarthi
Cool Lassi(e)
Gayathri Kumar
Kalyani
Kaveri
Mireille Roc
Pavani
Pradnya
Priya Srinivasan
Priya Suresh
Suma
Vardhini
Veena
Vaishali

PJ has a huge collection, yet I settled to a dish that will always be a favorite for my kids. I always wanted to use tea bags and tamarind for the chole to see how it tastes. So this was a good chance.

Chole for Bhature

Ingredients Needed:

For boiling the Channa
Channa /Chickpeas - 1 cup
Tea bag -1
Bay leaf - 1

For the gravy

Oil - 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Onion, puree -1
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes, puree - 2 medium
Coriander powder -1 tsp
Tamarind, thick extract - 1 tbsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish.

How to make the Chole

Wash the chickpeas and soak overnight. Drain the water and pressure cook the channa with the bay leaf and tea bag. Pressure cook for 4 whistles. Remove the teabag and the bayleaf from the cooked chickpeas and keep the cooked channa aside.

Heat oil in a pan and put in jeera and when it splutters add onion puree and saute till soft.

Next add ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell goes off.

Then add the tomato puree and cook till the oil comes out.

Next add the coriander powder, tamarind extract, coriander powder, chilli powder, salt and cook everything gets cooked well.

Now add the cooked chickpea along with the water and bring to boil. Then simmer and continue cooking till the gravy thickens.

Serve with Bhaturas.


Notes: You can mash handful of cooked channa to make the gravy thick.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 11

No comments:

Post a Comment