Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mixed Vegetable Kurma ~ Madras Style | Mixed Vegetable Korma Step by Step Recipe | Lunch Box Recipes

Today we are starting the second group of the Blogging Marathon Edition #10. I decided to do the Lunch Box series, basically it's more like what one makes for a typical meal or pack for office. Since I pack and carry my lunch, I decided to share my everyday box for this week. These may not always be a full three course meal, I warn ahead.

I get frequent emails asking to share my Menu planning or my lunch box menu. I have stopped publishing my menu sheet sometime back, basically because I wasn't making anything new. Somehow things fall in place with the few restrictions I have in my usage of ingredient. Still we have managed quite well.

It should become easy now, that we have a fixed day for buying the vegetables. We do it every Sunday morning and I pretty much plan what I am going to make through the week, both for lunch and dinner. Though seeing the pattern I may not have been that adventurous. I am planning to change that and decided to try at least couple of new recipes every week. My recipe collection is brimming out with so many new ideas to try.

Anyway coming to today's post, today's recipe was something that I made as I went on. It was loosely based on the way the kurmas are normally prepared in hotels. The kurma was lip smacking with Rotis, I am sure it would taste great with Naans.


Step by Step Picture Recipe:











 
Madras Mixed Vegetable Kurma

Ingredients Needed:
 
Onion paste
 
Onions, puree - 1 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Green Chilies - 2 medium
Garlic - 2 medium cloves
Ginger - 2"

Coconut Paste:


Coconut, finely chopped - 1/2 cup
Poppy Seeds - 2 seeds
Green Chilies - 1 medium

Other ingredients

Tomatoes, puree - 1 & 1/2 cup
Vegetables - 2 cups (Carrots, Beans, Turnip)
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Coriander leaves, finely chopped - 2 tsp
Tomato, finely chopped - 1 small
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

How to make the Madras Mixed Vegetable Kurma

To make the Onion paste:

Roughly chop the onions, garlic, ginger, green chilies. Grind this along with cumin seeds, fennel seeds using little water to make a smooth paste.

Trim and chop the vegetables, keep aside.

To make the gravy:
Heat a pressure cooker with oil, add the onion paste and sauté the paste till it's done. Cover with lid, saute for couple of minutes, when the oil starts coming out and the onion paste is well cooked, add the tomato puree. mix everything well. lastly add coconut paste, salt and turmeric. 

Mix everything well, cook for 2 mins, then add the chopped vegetables, cover with lid and continue cooking for a while.

Next add the coriander powder, coriander leaves, tomato pieces. Cook for 5 mins, then add 1 cup or little more, depending on the gravy thickness. Cover the pressure cooker with lid and cook for couple of whistles, for the vegetables to be done. 

Enjoy with Rotis and salad.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#10

No comments:

Post a Comment