Friday, November 18, 2011

How to peel Ridge gourd | Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi | Ridge Gourd Skin Chutney

Well this probably today's post will not exactly fit into the theme of showing all about cleaning and peeling a Ridge Gourd but is essentially about peeling the outer layer and preserving the peel or rather making a proper use of it as a chutney.

Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi  or the chutney with the Rigde gourd skin is a famous Andhra dish and I have already posted a version of the Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi. When I was planning to make the Beerakaya Pappu, seeing that so much skin might come out, I decided that I was going to make the chutney. I went to make Beerakaya Pappu, Snake gourd Stir Fry with Moong Dal and this chutney turned out so delicious that I ended up making it twice in a row.

I was even more elated because hubby dear assumed that the pappu and the chutney were made by Athamma, which I would say was a real compliment. For all the wonderful way I might cook for my friends or my kids, beating Amma or Athamma at their dish is the real thing. And it felt like the adage that "I have arrived"..:)

Anyway both the Beerakaya Pappu and the Ridge Gourd chutney recipes were made as I went on cooking. The pappu was similar except I didn't add tamarind and made it very thick. I almost remembered Amma saying that my Ammamma used to make the pappu that way.
Beerakaya Pappu, Snake gourd Stir Fry with Moong Dal, Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney with Curds and rice ~ Our meal

How to peel Ridge Gourd:

First thing would be to buy a tender Ridge gourd. While buying try twisting softly and not very hard as it might break. When the vegetable is soft and pale green you know the vegetable is still tender.

Also another indication would be those dark black lines on the ridges as in the above, if the line is too thick, then you know it's matured else you can buy.
Wash the vegetable well, if there are black lines on the ridges, slight scrap it out. Then holding the vegetable in your left hand, using a sharp knife scrap it downwards as I have shown in the picture. 

Make a chutney with the peel right away as I did, else freeze it for couple of days. I have refrigerated for a day before making the chutney.

How to make Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi

In a non stick pan, add 1 tsp of oil, add the peels, handful of ridge gourd, Bengal gram, Urad dal, Garlic, Dry red chilies, curry leaves, coriander leaves and saute till the ingredients are cooked.
Here is almost done.

Allow it to cool, grind to a semi coarse paste adding salt to taste.

Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi | Ridge Gourd Skin Chutney

Ingredients Needed:

Ridge gourd peel  - 3/4 cup
Ridge gourd pieces - handful
Bengal Gram / Channa dal - 2 tsp
Urad dal / Black gram dal  - 2 tsp
Curry leaves - 10
Coriander leaves - handful
Dry Red chillis - 3 -4
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 - 2 tsp
Garlic - 1 big

How to make Ridge Gourd Skin Chutney

In a non stick pan, heat oil, add the peels, curry leaves, coriander leaves, lentils, ridge gourd pieces, garlic along with salt and dry red chillis. Simmer and saute till the ingredients are well done.

Allow to cool, add enough water to make a semi coarse paste.

Serve with dal and rice as a side dish.

There is no need to do tempering for this. Add as little water as required.


Other Beerakaya / Ridge gourd Dishes

Ridge Gourd Stir Fry ~ Beerakaaya Vepudu!
Beerakaya Thokku pachadi, Ridgegourd Peel Chutney
Beerakaya Kura or Ridge Gourd Curry
Beerakaya Pappu ~ Ridge gourd Dal

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#10

No comments:

Post a Comment