Saturday, November 26, 2011

Keerai Paruppu Masiyal | Thotakura Pappu | Amaranth Leaves with Toor Dal ~ Lunch Box Recipes

Though I love green colour, I can hardly say the same when it comes to eating greens. I know I really should not be saying such things openly now, now that my kids can hold it against me! Anyway though I don't like the idea of eating greens, when I prepare them, I enjoy it much. It's like you need some reasons not to like something right! This being the reason it's not often that I willing make a dal with greens or stir fry, but believe me I make greens at least once a week.

We regularly make the greens in the traditional andhra pappu style. I have seen my tamilian friends bringing this masiyal and always wanted to make it. So this time I thought I will prepare the greens with dal in Tamilian style. While making the dal I remembered Amma making the regular dals in this style, meaning cooking the dals directly in the pan of rolling water and then making a mashed dal. These days with the comfort of pressure cooker, one can't imagine cooking it directly, though the taste will surely be so much better.

I packed this for my lunch and trust me, it was so yum!

This method is called masiyal, which means you churn the dal using a dal churner or masher. The other method of making this is the simple Keerai Masiyal, where the dal/pappu is not added.

Keerai Paruppu Masiyal, Vazhai Thandu curry with Steaming Rice ~ Our Meal

Keerai Paruppu Masiyal

Ingredients Needed:

For the Greens:

Greens / Keerai - 1 bunch – (You can use any greens, I used Aarai keerai)
Green Chilies - 3 nos
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Salt to taste
Tamarind juice - 2 tsp

For Tempering / Seasoning

Mustard seeds, Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Red Chilli - 2 nos
Asafotida Powder - a pinch
Oil- 2 tsp

For the dal

Toor dal – ½ cup
Oil - few drops
Turmeric powder a pinch
Asafotida Powder - a pinch

How to prepare Keerai Paruppu Masiyal

Wash and pressure cook the toor dal with a dash of hing, turmeric powder and oil. Pressure cook for 3 whistles till the dal is well cooked. Once the pressure falls, churn it well adding little water. Keep it aside.

For the cooking the Greens/ Keerai

Pick the greens well and wash about 3 - 4 times in water to make sure the dirt is removed. Let it drain for couple of mins. Chop the leaves if required. Then take the greens in a hollow pan, along with finely chopped tomatoes, green chilies, salt. Cover and cook on high flame. There is no need to add more water than couple of tbsp of water. The greens will start to let out more water and simmer after 5 - 7 mins. Once the greens are cooked, switch off and allow it to cool a bit. Then holding the vessel, remove the green chilis if you want, churn well using the churner.

Once the greens are churned and reache a semi smooth paste, put it back on the flame, add the cooked dal, 1 cup of water. Bring to boil.

In another pan, heat oil. When the oil is hot, add mustard, urad, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves. When the mustard pops, add the onions and saute till the onions turn brown. At this stage, add this tempering to the boiling dal. Cover immediately with lid and switch off the flame.

Serve with steaming rice and vegetable.

Some traditional dals with greens:

Thotaku Pappu - Andhra Style
Fenugreek Dal ~ Menthi kura Pappu
Gongura Pappu ~ Ambadi Dal
Palak Pappu ~ Spinach Dal

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#10

No comments:

Post a Comment