Monday, November 14, 2011

Majun ~ Majoon Recipe ~ Sindhi Special | How to make Majun Step By Step Recipe | Indian Cooking Challenge for October

For this month's Indian Cooking Challenge, I thought we can venture into Sindhi Cuisine. Just when I was thinking what I should do, I saw Vaishali coming online and it struck me that I could ask her to share some authentic Sindhi dishes with us to experiment and enjoy. She was so sweet enough to get me couple of their special dishes and said this Majoon is a winter special served for breakfast.

Just reading through the recipe, I knew I was tempted. Imagine this is made specially during the winter season. Another tradition being that daughters are specially sent this by their moms. What a delightful idea! Going through the recipe, I realized the ingredients are readily available. Only the process takes time. I am sure we can enjoy yet another authentic fare from the Sindhis.

When I finally read through the recipe again, I realized this is very much our own Palkova. I also remembered the tradition that's followed in Tamil Nadu where newly wed girls are packed off with a box of Thirattipal on their first visit to inlaws.

Since all the ingredients other than the unsweetened khoya is readily available, I made sure I got hold of the khoya and was prepared to make during the weekend. As I was told, this took about 2 + hours of stirring and looking over. Though I won't mind doing it all again with the sweet taste that's rewarded. Especially with all those nuts, it makes such a yummy dish to enjoy anytime.

You can squarely discard any thoughts of diet when this dish is around. I made sure I am not looking at this. Amma enjoyed it so much and said she remembers eating this somewhere. Konda and Hubby dear enjoyed it a lot, though the boys are yet to start eating nuts in their foods. I am sure they will enjoy this when they get the taste.

I will be sharing both the recipe as given by Vaishali and the changes I made. I must say that with all the changes I did, it still was very rich. So you can imagine how it really must be had I included all that ghee this dish is supposed to have.

Step by Step picture Recipe.


All the ingredients used. I used only the amount that's displayed in the above picture.
Bring the milk to boil.
Add sugar and cook till it becomes half.
Pound the dry dates and add it along with the poppy seeds to the boiling milk.
Nuts are also pound the same way.

Dates and khus khus are added.
Next goes the khoya.
finally the cardamon..
This is after 10 mins of adding the khoya.
After 20 mins.
In between if you are planning to stand next to the pan, take the risk of increasing the flame and cooking in high.
After couple of minutes the liquid thickens well.
Next add the crushed nuts
Stir everything well. I loved the colourful additions.
This is about 45 mins or so.
Keep stirring non stop and you will get a thick mass.
At this stage it's really thick with just about a slight trace of moisture.
 Add ghee at this point and mix everything again.
Can see how thick the sweet looks.
continue adding of ghee.

cover with lid and cook in sim.
Place the pan over a griddle and simmer for 10 mins.
After 10 mins, it will look this dry.
We are done!
Majun / Majoon

Cuisine - Sindhi
Cooking Time - 2 hrs 30 mins appr.
Recipe Source -  Vaishali

Ingredients Needed:

Milk - 1 & 1/2 liters
Sugar - 500 gms
Dry dates / Chuara - 125 gms
Poppy Seeds / Khus Khus - 150gms
Unsweetened Khoya - 500 gms
Cardamon powder - 2 - 3 tsps

Almonds / Badam - 250 gms
Cashew nuts - 250 gms
Pista - 125gms
Ghee - 400gms

Preparations:

Since dry dates is very hard, crush it using a stone or a hard object. Remove the pits. similarly crush the nuts. Keep them aside.

How to prepare Majoon / Majun

Bring Milk to boil, simmer once it is boiled.  Continue boiling for about 10 - 15 mins.

Add sugar and let it dissolve. Add poppy seeds, cardamon powder, unsweetened khoya and crushed dry dates. Continue cooking for about 30 mins. When you check the dates, it should be little soft by now. Simmer till the milk is almost it's half.

At this stage add the pounded nuts. Continue cooking on slow flame till the milk is all evaporated. The mix will start to look thick brown creamy mix. Take care to stir the entire mix, else the mix might burn in the bottom.

At about 2 hrs or so, the entire mix is dry and all the moisture is gone, start adding the ghee one spoon at a time and mix everything.

When you find the moisture is completely gone and the ghee starts coming on the sides, place this pan on a griddle, cover with a lid and place a heavy object, continue cooking for about 10 mins.

Notes:

Select a very thick bottomed pan for cooking this as there is always a possibility for the milk to get burnt.
After about 1 hour so, keep checking and stir the entire mix. Else the milk will get burnt in the bottom.
If the pan used is not deep enough, it will start to splatter, so cover with a lid and cook.
You will know it's done, when the nuts are soft and the colour is brown in colour.
This can be stored for 3 6 months in the refrigerator and served for breakfast.

Serving:

I am told that this is served as 2 - 4 tbsp along with 2 tsp of milk, warmed in microwave for 2 mins to get it piping hot and served for breakfast.

Changes I made:

Milk - 1 litre

Sugar - 2 cups
Dry dates / Chuara - 10 nos
Poppy Seeds / Khus Khus - 3 tsp

Unsweetened Khoya - 200 gms
Cardamon powder - 2 - 3 pinches

Almonds / Badam - 1 cup
Cashew nuts - 1/2 cup
Pista - 3/4 cups
Ghee - 4 tps

Even with all this changes in the measurement, the sweet was very rich and simply out of the world.

To all my ICC members, please link your Majun post to Mr. Linky.

No comments:

Post a Comment