Sunday, April 3, 2011

Oats Rava Idli | Instant Steamed Cake with Semolina and Oats | Diabetes Diet Food

Today is the beginning of Day 1 of the Blogging Marathon #4. This time I wanted to create 3 groups with limited number of bloggers so that we get more opportunity to interact with each other. To make sure this reaches far, I had announced a week ahead for this beginning. Apart from my regular friends who have been doing this Blogging Marathon with me, I have the pleasure to interact and know new bloggers and some old friends again.

We have about 28 bloggings doing this marathon this time. I am sure you will have fun checking them out.


Champa and I were discussing something when this topic of Diabetes came up. She was interested after reading the articles that my father has contributed in this blog on Diabetes Management. She said she has a book on the subject and would want to share that knowledge. So we thought having a topic on Diabetes for the Blogging Marathon, so that we can share what we know and also source knowledge from reliable sources. 



Unfortunately I have not been keeping well and that made sure I couldn't do anything that I planned. Apart from sharing this wonderful Instant Oats Rava Idli, I wanted to talk about other things that I get from my father. 

I am doing much better today or rather the thought that I ought to do this Blogging Marathon pushed me enough to get better. Whatever I find it comforting that I am back at my favorite spot writing this blog. Today being Ugadi for us, I am sad I couldn't' do much as we normally do every year. It's going to be a simple festival celebrations this year.

One of the good news that cheer us is the fact that Athamma has been keeping a good control on her Diabetes. Few weeks ago it was very high and we were very concerned on that. Very important factor in getting control is her diet that she again changed. So I will be discussing on that changed diet to a greater extent that has helped so much.

A diabetic is advised a diet based on many factors. Infact some say rice should be avoided, while some even write a menu based on that. The fact remains that everything has to be in moderation and also to the note that an individual should again experiment in what suits self. This is more like a trial and error method where one arrives at the right diet that will suit them.

Whichever food you choose to eat, the most important factor to keep in mind, is the Glycemic Index of the food.  This will make sure the food you eat takes time to digest, which will aid the balance of blood sugar.

Please check the previous articles on Diabetes Management from my father Dr. Nagarathnam. Diabetes and its management, 
Diabetic Diet Menu


This instant oats idli is adapted from a small booklet that came from the Oats meal that we got. It has some interesting recipes and a very attractive pictures.

Oats Rava Idli

Prep Time : 5 mins
Cooking Time : 7 - 10 mins

Ingredients Needed:

Oats - 1 & 1/2 cups
Roasted Rava / Semolina- 1 cup
Sour Thick Curds - 2 cups
Green Chili paste - 1 tsp
Grated Carrots - 1/4 cups
Coriander leaves - 1 tsp
Onions - 1/2 cup
Cooking oil - 1 tsp
Cooking soda - 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Channa dal - 1 tsp
Cashew nuts for garnish
Salt to taste

Method to prepare:

Soak  rava in curds for 5 mins. Add the oats to the curs and keep it for another 5 mins.
Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, bengal gram. onions, green chili paste and fry .
Mix well and pour over the soaked rava and oats mixture.
Add salt, coriander leaves and cooking soda and mix well.
Grease the idli moulds and put a cashew piece and grated carrot on the base. Pour the rava and oats mixture over it.
Steam cook for 7 - 10 mins as you do with your regular idlis.
Serve hot with your choice of chutney


Diabetes Diet/Management: Srivalli, Champa, Harini, PJ
Kid Friendly Recipes: Kalyani, Shylaja, Veena
Seven Days of Soup:Usha, Sowmya  
30 Minutes Meals: Priya Suresh  
Seven days of Cakes:  Anusha

No comments:

Post a Comment