Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dosakaya Pappu | Indian Lunch Box Recipes

Reading my post on Dosakaya Kootu, I realized that it's been almost 10 months since I started using Facebook regularly. Last June I seem to have done this, yet here I was thinking it's been just a while ago. And this pappu also gets done often, though somehow never came on the board. Since I have chosen to blog on 30 minutes meals, I can't but get those hidden dals that get done on a regular basis right! 

Pappu is our most favorite dish and the one that gets done in different circumstances. It's what we make when we return from a trip. It's what we make when we feel we have to revive our taste buds. Yet we keep making it often. It's like the parupu podi that Amma makes. Last night when it was fish for the rest of the family, I declined anything saying I will eat fruit for dinner. Within minutes I saw Athamma busy roasting something and tempting aroma was sneaking to the hall. I saw she had immediately made the podi for me. I was so touched. She was wondering if it tasted as good as how Amma makes, I said it surely did and had a blast. I was remembering how that podi and these dals are such must on our table.


Dosakaya Pappu

Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins
Cuisine : Andhra Cuisine

Ingredients Needed

Toor Dal - 1 cup
Dosakaya / Yellow Cucumber - 1 medium
Dried Red chillies - 5-6
Onion - 1 small
Tomato - 2 medium
Garlic - 4 cloves
Tamarind - small marble sized
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard, urud dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves few
Water for cooking
 
Method to prepare:

Clean the dal and keep aside. Chop onions and tomatoes. Crush the garlic cloves along with the skin.


Peel the dosakaya and cube into small pieces.


Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add mustard and urad dal. then curry leaves and cumin seeds. Once it splutters, sauté onions, red chillies and garlic. Once onion browns, add dal, dosakaya pieces and fry for few mins.

Then add tomatoes, tamarind, turmeric, and water for cooking. Cover it with lid and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles till the dal is cooked well.

When the pressure is off, take the dal masher or pappu guthi, mash the dal well with the red chillies. Add salt. and cook on high flame for 2 mins.

Serve with steamed Rice.


This is the same way we make most dals, only difference would be when you add the vegetable and how mushy you cook it.
************************************************************************
Check out my Blogging Marathoners doing Group 3 BM#4 along with me  

Diabetes Diet/Management: Kamalika, Smitha, Suma  
Kid Friendly Recipes: Anusha, Cool Lassi(e)  
Seven Days of Soup: Priya Suresh  
Seven Days of Indian Bread: Jayasree, Pavani  
Seven Days of Cakes:  Priya Vasu  
Seven Days of Preserves: Gayathri Kumar, Vaishali  
30 Minutes Meals: Priya Mahadevan, Srivalli

No comments:

Post a Comment