Monday, January 25, 2010

Quick Semiya Upma ~ Vermicelli Upma Recipe!

After yesterday's eventful things at home, I completely forgot to ask Konda for a menu. When I finally did, she said since I have two weeks worth of ideas, why not I come up with a mix and match myself. She said we can do the menu next week. What can I say after that. Anyway that still left me with a confusion on what to make for today. One item that was missed from the menu was Vermicelli Upma or Semiya Upma. Living in a household that detests upmas of any kind, I have long forgotten how one makes Vermicelli Upma.

Amma has this as part of the breakfast atleast once every week. Imagine I have never cooked this for many years. Hubby dear can't stand any version of it. Though he has mellowed over the years. To be frank, we have reached a stage where we can eat anything for any meal. But kids have reached a stage where they don't eat anything! Yes that leaves me in a soup, so in coup I decided that this Semiya Upma it was for Konda. Surprising she loved the setup and even more when she ate.

Infact there was hardly anything different that went in, but I wanted to record that this was yet another good and easy Breakfast/ School Lunch box for kids.



Quick Semiya Upma ~ Vermicelli Upma Recipe!


Ingredients Needed

Semiya / Vermicelli - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Onion - few chunks
Green Chili - 1 chopped into two pieces
Curry leaves - few


Method to prepare:

In a non stick pan, dry roast the vermicelli till nicely done. Ensure it doesn't get burnt.

Remove and in the same pan, heat oil, add the onion pieces. I add them in big chunk so that kids can throw them off easily! Then add the green chillies, curry leaves.

Once the onions are turning pink or translucent, add the salt along with water. When the water starts boiling, add the roasted vermicelli and mix well.

Cover with a lid and simmer for 5 more mins. Since you are adding 1 cup of water, ensure it gets cooked in low fame. When you find that water is completely evaporated which is about 5 -6 mins, switch off and remove



Notes:
Optionally you can add more onions, tomatoes and other spices too during the seasoning period. Since I got to remove all of them anyways, I don't add!
Vegetables can be added to improve the nutritional value
Remember to cook this in slow flame else you stand the risk of burning the upma.


This is for my Kids Delight Wholesome Breakfast, hope you are sending more ideas for me!

Will be attempting some of the dishes I was suggested, so check them out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment