Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Quick Paneer Parathas ~ Wholesome Meal for Kids Day 2!

The day started quite hectic but luckily we managed to get things done on time. There was a last minute change in the menu as Konda wanted the same Pithiki Pappu Kura for dosa today, for which Athamma has those beans skinned ready. She infact prepared the kura by the time I got to the kitchen. Last night when I was getting the kids sleep, they insisted I sleep too without having to work. So I thought I would just pretend instead promptly slept and got up with start as I had planned for few posts. Plus had to soak the dals for the Onion dosa that is planned for BC. I was thankfully able to complete all my tasks.

When I checked the menu for today, Konda had asked for Paneer Parathas. I was thinking of the same way of making those quick Aloo Parathas. Once her breakfast was ready, I got into making these simple Paneer Parathas that will not be a messy lunch for her. So blended everything to the dough and had them going. By the time Konda was ready, the boys got up so naturally things had a way to get delayed. So hurriedly clicked few pictures of the box saying I surely want to share this simple and quick meal.

There is really no big recipe here but I thought how it will be to taking pictures everyday and sharing it here with you all!



Quick Paneer Parathas

Ingredients Needed

Whole Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Grated Paneer - 3 - 4 tsp
Red Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric a pinch
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp (opt)
Ghee/ Clarified Butter - 1 tsp
Oil for cooking the parathas

Method to prepare:

In a bowl, take the wheat flour, along with grated paneer, salt, chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and ghee. Knead well to get a pliable dough. Let it rest for 5 - 10 mins.

Heat a tawa/ skillet, reduce to medium heat when the skillet is hot.

Meanwhile, divide the dough into equal balls, preferable small ones as kids live to handle tiny parathas. Dust the ball with flour and roll out to small discs.

Grease the pan with little oil so that the parathas don't stick to the pan. Place the rolled out parathas on the pan, when you see it bubbling out, flip to the other side and cook. Spread little oil on both sides and cook evenly.

This can be eaten as such or with Curds/ pickle.

Notes :

  • Since you have added ghee to the dough, you need not add lots of oil. Also you need to cook this on relatively high flame, as else the parathas tend to become hard as the dough has ghee in it.
  • Instead of ghee you can add curds/yogurts for getting soft parathas.
  • Make it more spicy by adding cumin powder, fennel seeds or even coriander powder. Depends on how much spice your kid eats.
  • Variations can be by adding finely chopped or grated onions and corianders too.

I was very happy knowing that Konda loved the Idli upma with Podi, hope she enjoys this too.

I almost think I should have made the event as wholesome lunch with the lunch items that I am preparing! But I guess this makes up as both a breakfast or lunch item!

No comments:

Post a Comment