Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Quick & Easy Savory Rava Vermicelli Idli Step by Step Recipe ~ Diabetes Diet Food

I think this Rava Vermicelli Idli must be really of those few recipes that got done almost immediately after  the know-how. Ever since we made the Wheat Idli, Athamma has been after me to make this. Actually Amma saw us making the Bansi Rava Idli, she make a change to the recipe by making it a Rava Idli with Vermicelli and to boot, she sent some to Athamma. Well ever since then, I have been pressured to attempt it.

Since this week I decided not to make Idli on Monday as Konda wanted a change, without realizing that Tuesday was a holiday, we went ahead with soaking the rice for idli. Naturally we can't make Idli on a holiday right. Every time I pack the Idlis, somehow Chinnu gets on the scene, with stern voice tells me "Amma, Idli Votthu anni sepunnanu katha?" (Mom, I have told to I don't want Idlis) I just nod my head and get on with my work.

After all it's not me who was going to feed him and he normally eats whatever put in front of him by his school folks. Its a blessing, really! Finally it turned out that breakfast was Poori with Kala Channa, his favorite. He was happy being fed that. So as a reward, I saved up the Idlis for today. Athamma was reminding me the day through that I am yet to ask Amma about the recipe. I finally did at late night and even wrote it down.




We decided to make very small quantity as we had the regular Idli batter too. I used the smallest cup in my household, which measures about 50 gms I think, not really sure. I have taken a picture to make things more clear. Will try to measure the exact amount one of these days for sure. After a day at home, and an outing last evening, I was really energized to get up early then normal. Result is this step by step picture. Else it is really too crazy to manage.

Making of this idli is really really to simple and result will pleasantly surprise you. If you are fans of Rava Idli (which I am), believe this works as a breeze. To be frank, I have never attempted at the authentic Rava Idli all by myself. So making something with rava, even if it was only half and getting a perfect shaped idli that also tasted great, felt really good.

This is yet another dish most idle for Diabetes. Very tasty and quick to make, all under 40 mints from start to end!

Since I had time I took this in steps, I hope you find it useful!

Heat a non stick pan, dry roast Sooji till you start smelling the aroma. Remove keep aside.



Then put the vermicelli and roast again until you see it nicely done. This takes abt 2 -3 mins. While trying to meddle with the camera, I allowed it brown more. Which I am sure you will avoid!




Allow it cool, since I used a cup, I measured 1 and 1/4 cup of curds and mixed to the Rava and Vermicelli along with salt



At this stage it was really thick. I allowed it to rest for 5 minutes hoping that water will come out. But nothing like that happened. Only it became a thicker mass with the Rava and Vermicelli absorbing all the moisture. Add almost 1/4 cup of water to the mix and mix well to get a consistency that is not pouring yet loose. Almost like the regular Idli batter consistency.



Let it rest for 30 mins, if you are in a hurry like me, obviously you will disturb it by 20 mins and proceed with making the idlis.

Meanwhile heat a pan with oil, season with mustard, Urad dal, Bengal gram. When done add the onions, curry leaves and cashews if you are using it. Sauté well so that the onions get browned.



Add this to the batter and mix well.

Grease the idli plates with oil and pour a ladleful of the batter.

Steam for 10 - 15 mins depending on the idlis

Savory Rava Semiya Idli ~ Semolina Vermicelli Idli

Preparation Time : 5 - 7 mins
Soaking Time : 30 mins (or 1 hr if you have time)
Cooking Time : 10 - 15 mins (Depending on the number of plates used)
Makes - 6 idlis

Ingredients Needed:

Rava / Sooji - 50 gms
Vermicelli - 50 gms
Curds - 1 & 1/4 cup (use the same cup as you measure the rava and vermicelli)
Water as required to thin the batter.
Salt to taste

Seasoning
Onions - 1 medium
Green Chilies - 2 medium
Curry leaves few
Mustard Seeds, Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Bengal Gram/ Channa Dal - 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts - 5 (opt)
Coriander leaves  some

Method to prepare:

  • The recipe calls for the regular measuring cup, but I used the smallest one on hand, which might measure up to 50 gms.
  • Heat a non stick pan and dry roast Rava on high, while you keep stirring it to prevent from getting burnt. Repeat with the Vermicelli
  • Then put the vermicelli and roast again until you see it nicely done. This takes abt 2 -3 mins.
  • Allow it cool, measure 1 and 1/4 cup of curds and mixed to the Rava and Vermicelli along with salt.
  • Check the consistency, if it is too thick thin it by adding little water. Then allow it to rest for 30 mins.
  • Meanwhile heat a pan with oil, season with mustard, Urad dal, Bengal gram. When done add the onions, curry leaves and cashews if you are using it. Sauté well so that the onions get browned.
  • Add this mix to the batter and mix well.
  • Grease the idli plates with oil and pour a ladleful of the batter.
  • Steam for 10 - 15 mins depending on the idlis.
  • Enjoy with any side dish of choice!




Notes:  

  1. The amount of water to be used depends on the quality of the Semolina and Vermicelli. So add in little by little. We don't want the batter to be too thin. The batter consistency should not pouring one yet loose enough. Almost like the regular Idli batter consistency.
  2. The batter can be allowed to rest for 1 hr for more softer texture. But 20 mins was fairly fine. if required you can add very tiny pinch of cooking soda.
  3. Again how many minutes required for steaming depends on the number of plates used in the Idli pan. I used 6 plate one and normally steam it for 15 mins. With just two plates it can be even less.


No comments:

Post a Comment