Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bottle Gourd Tikkis ~ Healthy Snacks for Kids!

After announcing an event which I felt was the only way I could get Konda eat properly, I was happy getting her involved in letting me know what she wants for this week. I even made her read the entire post. She was very pleased being the topic of discussion. I thought it was best if we arrive at a menu as I do for our week. Guess what, it really helped me the last two days in not wasting time thinking what to make for her.

Below is what she wanted for this week. I am hoping I can change this next week with more ideas. Looking at the menu I was thinking maybe I should mix and match items so as to suit everybody's taste at home without ending up with different menus to follow!

I was always thinking I should put things properly in a table, but never came around doing the html part it. Recently I came across a site that gives easy solution. I remember seeing Meeta use it. When it didn't work for me, she offered to do it for me, which was really so very sweet. Then I went about creating on my own, though I ended up struggling with the table not sure where I was going wrong. Medhaa helped out with the current one. Looks like I was giving too many spaces. Thanks Medhaa!



Week 1
BreakfastLunch
MondayIdli with Tomato ChutneyMacaroni
Tuesday
Aloo Paratha
WednesdayBread JamCurd Rice with Aloo Roast
ThursdayPasta/ MaggiPoori with Subji
FridaySmoothies with SandwichVariety Rice

I have successfully completed two days without hassle. I am hoping this will surely help me glide through without any other problem!

This Saturday was pretty hectic as I was busy trying to cook as many as I can and shoot them. In the process, Athamma had a piece of bottle gourd that she wanted to make tikkis with as I did with Aloo Paneer Tikkis. The afternoon was spent making these and the moment I took pictures, Konda was right on them and it vanished within minutes!

She said it was absolutely delicious! We need not feel guilty as these are not deep fried. I used about 2 tsp of oil for 8 tikkis. Plus the fact that you can actually sneak in lot of veggies like this for the kids to eat without knowing it.


Photobucket


Bottle gourd Tikkis

Ingredients Needed

Bottle gourd grated - 50 gms
Awain / Vammu a pinch
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 ts
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds- a pinch
Chili powder - 3/4 tsp
Gram powder - 2 -3 tsp
Besan - 3 - 4 tsp
Wheat flour - 1 tsp
Bread crumbs
Oil - for cooking

Method to prepare:

Peel and grate the bottle gourd, mix in the other ingredients except bread crumbs. Since water comes out while grating, you need not add water to form the tikkis.

Ensure the dough is not watery, if required add more flour. Shape them into small discs. Roll them on bread crumbs.

Heat a non stick pan, and shallow fry them on both sides by sprinkling drops of oil.

Serve hot with ketchup.


Photobucket



These make a perfect evening snack for kids and its not heavy work for us too. Do try these and let me know how your kid likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment