Friday, October 1, 2010

Mini Triangle Stuffed Paratha | Step by Step Recipes | Finger Foods for Kids

With kids at home for their quarterly holidays, I have to think not about one snack break but many that continues. When I decided on Finger Foods for Kid's Delight this month, I was sure the entries I get will surely benefit me more than anything. And knowing that time is running, I don't even have an entry myself.

Few weeks ago while I was chatting with Amma, she showed me a Telugu magazine that talked about interesting tiffins for kids. I browsed through the pictures as I can't for the life of me read telugu. Then had Amma read them for me. Couple of the paratha ideas were what I already make. The third one was called chinese style triangle paratha. Now knowing the ingredients again didn't throw why it was called a chinese. But maybe the author had a point. Anyway I was interested on the combination and the name she called it. Triangle Stuffed Paratha.


Since then I was planning to adapt the same into a finger food, making it convenient to be consumed by kids with their favorite tomato sauce!

I had something else planned for today. But with so many other things happening, I completely forgot about it and wanted to make these mini triangle parathas.

The vegetable mix for this is quite simple. You can actually add whatever is available in your pantry. As Carrots, Beans and Cabbage are eternal in my fridge I thought I will just use them.

You can get very creative in making this. I just added whatever I felt my kids will eat. Of course I ended up eating the most.

I used exactly the same amount of vegetables as shown in the picture. Have all of them ready at hand!

Heat a pan with oil, saute onions and cumin seeds


Then goes the carrot..
 Followed by the cabbage, beans, and tomatoes.

Add the chili powder, tomato sauce, salt, Simmer for 5-7 mins with cover.

Meanwhile make small balls and roll out into small discs.

 Make a cut in the middle to get two half moons.

 Scoop out the stuffing and place in the middle.


Bring one flip towards the other to cover the stuffing as shown in the picture.

 Repeat with the other half and press well to close the stuffing in.

 Heat a pan with oil. Roast these triangle with oil sprinkled over it. Cook on both sides.

 Once it is cooked on one side, flip to the other side.


Serve with Tomato Sauce!


Mini Triangle Stuffed Paratha
Makes : 6 pieces

Ingredients Needed:

For the dough

Whole Wheat flour / Atta - 1 cup
Salt to taste

For the Stuffing:

Onion - quarter of a medium
Carrot - 1 small
Cabbage - handful
Beans - 4-5 nos
Tomato - quarter piece
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Tomato Sauce - 1 tsp
Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp
Hot Tomato Sauce - 1/2 tsp (opt)
Oil - 1 tsp
 
Method to prepare:

For the dough:
Mix the flour with salt and enough water to knead into a soft dough

For the stuffing:

Chop all the vegetables into fine pieces, heat a non stick pan with oil. Sauté the cumin, along with onions. Then add the vegetables one by one. Simmer the flame and cover with lid.

Add the salt and chili powder. Mix well. Then add the tomato sauce and the hot tomato sauce if you are using it.

This almost gets done in 5 -7 mins. It will be great if the vegetables are still crunchy.

For making the mini parathas:

Heat a pan for roast the parathas.

Divide the dough into small balls. Roll them into thin discs.

Cut through in middle to get half moons. Scoop the stuffing and place over the middle. Bring one side over the stuffing and seal the sides to ensure the stuffing doesn't come out.

Roast them over hot pan and grease oil over it. Cook on both sides by lightly pressing them to make sure all the spots are cooked.

This goes to my event Kid's Delight themed on Finger Foods. Hope you are getting your entries ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment