Monday, July 13, 2009

Quick Tomato Chutney!

When you are in hurry, it always helps to have some handy dishes that you can whip in minutes. Yes that refers to our traditional Indian Dosa batter or Idli batter. I have always seen Amma storing this for ever. The moment it gets over, she has a fresh batch ready. It also helped that her kids were fond of dosas. Not that mine aren't ok. All 3 of them, even when asked at different periods of the day, would shout out Dosa! Its actually such a relief most of the times. But I do try to give them different things for breakfasts.

So when it comes to our south Indian breakfasts, they always go hand in hand with some dips. And believe me, I can never get tired of eating Coconut chutney or groundnut chutney. But hubby dear desists monotony. So I got to think of some quick tomato chutneys. Both Amma and Athamma have their version of tomato chutneys. So naturally when I am blending it together, I ought to come up with something in common right!

Photobucket

This quick Tomato Chutney takes just 5 mins! If you don't believe me, then try it yourself and enjoy. I believe this fits the label of Bachelor cooking as my bachelor colleagues have asked me for ideas and this was one of the few that I shared with them. They were amazed that such a lip smacking dish can be prepared in just 5 mins! You can double the quantities for more.

Remember the Jowar Appayes, well I served it with these quick tomato chutneys.

Makes a cup enough for two people, of course depends on how much you eat!

Ingredients Needed:

Tomatoes - 2 medium
Onion - 2 medium
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Garlic - 3- 4 pods

Mustard, Urad dal and curry leaves for seasoning.

Photobucket

Method to prepare:

Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil, fry roughly chopped onions till they are pink, add garlic and sauté well. Remove.

Then add roughly chopped tomatoes for 2 minutes. Cool and grind to smooth paste along with chili powder, salt and onions.

Heat the pan with remaining oil, temper with mustard, urad and curry leaves. Add the ground chutney, sauté for 2 minutes.

Serve with Dosas or idles.

No comments:

Post a Comment